February tasting was a late unexpected gathering since our original intent was to taste melbecs at the Brinkerhoffs, David stood in to cover this months tasting so we thank him for that!
Wow, as David has been doing over the past year, he has been sharing some his cellar holdings to show us how the old stuff is holding up or not, and to really demonstrate that California Vineyards can produce some incredible wines that will last for decades. Fortunately for all of us on this night we were able to see what “35 year old” wines tasted like and for the most part some incredibly well!!
Below is the line up of which we tasted, so enjoy the list as the rest of us enjoyed the wines. We do wish a speedy recovery to those that could not be with us on this night.
A. NV Laurent-Perrier Brut L.P. Champagne (about 10 years old)
1. 1998 Byington Santa Cruz County Viognier (only 12 yr. old)
2. 1989 Caymus Napa Zinfandel ( only 21 yr. old)
3. 2003 Schrader Napa Old Vine Charbono, (head pruned Tofanelli Vineyard) (a mere baby of 7)
4. 1989 Rabbit Ridge Zinfandel, 85% Dry Creek & 15% Russian River (another young adult of 21)
5. 1978 Montclair Winery Sonoma Zinfandel, Limerick Lane Vineyards, (the winery was in Oakland, CA. (this 32 year old Zin was one of the favorites of the evening, even though the wine press generally says that Zin. does not age)
6. 1976 Hop Kiln Winery, Russian River Zinfandel (a mere 34 years old)
7. 2004 Schrader Old Vine Napa Zinfandel (Ira Carter Vineyard) (the 6 year old baby of the evening)
8. 1976 Louis M. Martini Cabernet Sauvignon (another 34 year old from this family owned winery that moved to St. Helena in 1934, although, not listed on the label the grapes were from Sonoma’s Monte Rossa Vineyard) (the group favorite of the evening)
9 . 1978 Villa Mt. Eden Napa, (Oakville) cabernet Sauvignon (another 32 year old)
10. 1994 Robert Keenan Napa (Spring Mountain) Cabernet Sauvignon (a 16 year old teenager)
11. 1981 Robert Keenan Napa (Spring Mountain) Cabernet Sauvignon (a 29 year older brother to the teen)
12. 1985 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill Cabernet Sauvgnon, Napa (Diamond Mountain) (25 year old)
13 . 1977 Montevina Estate Special Selection Cabernet Sauvignon (a 33 year old Shenandoah Valley, Amador County Cab.)
*1988 Vichon Napa Merlot (this 22 year old was BAD (not just one that had not aged gracefully) which reminds us that not all bottles age well)