This months tasting done by David certainly was an enjoyable one in that we were able to taste some new vineyard wines that were very good and reasonably priced and ones that I would not have thought about purchasing, and then ones that are no longer available that were a real treat to try. Also, to have a member and friend share his thoughts on his post 89th Birthday and still going strong, Happy Birthday Derickson!!!!
Being part of this group allows us the opportunity to try a 36-year-old wine and understand why wine is meant to cellar… because it puts a smile on your face when you see that the fruit and the balance all held up all these years and you can recall the time you purchased it but not knowing that you were going to allow 12 others enjoy in the moment. Thanks to David for going into his cellar to allow the group an impressive set of wines for this months tasting.
Here is the lineup for this tasting with his notes.
1. Henri Able non-vintage Brut champagne (probably 25+ years old, but with the nutty character of a much more expensive late disgorged champagne)
2. Francois Montand non-vintage French methode traditionalle sparkling wine $9.99
3. 2009 Bandol Lepont rose $16.99 (lightest colour)
4. 2009 Bougrier rose D’Anjou Loire valley rose $7.99
5. 2008 Chateau Grande Cassagne Los Rameaux Costieres de nimes rose $9.99
6. 2007 River Rroad Boschetti vineyard russian river valley pinot noir $15.99
7. 1998 Bridlewood Paso Robles syrah (in with the pinots as a syrah by dan geher with significant french and russian oak)
8. 2007 Flying Goat Cellars Santa Maria Dieberg vineyard pinot noir $35.99
9. 2007 Delhinger Russian River Estate pinot noir
10. 1909 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve Willamette Valley pinot noir
11. 1980 Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Napa Valley cabernet
12. 2005 Chateau de Sales Pomerol $39.99 (did not show very well that night, but does have aging potential)
13. 1997 Zaca Mesa Misty Ridge old block merlot (santa barbara)
14. 1977 Trefethen Napa Estate cabernet sauvignon
15. 1974 Beaulieu Vineyard Napa Estate cabernet
16. 2000 Arvay 6 Puttonyos Hungarian Tokaji Aszu
Although we did not do a strict tabulation by any means the roses seemed mixed with the Loire being the least favorite. The Flying Goat had the most votes for the Pinot flight. Over all almost all hands were raised for the 74 BV Estate regular cab. making it the over all favorite of the evening as well as my personal favorite. The 6 basket Tokaji Aszu also received many favorable comments.